Attention Skirts

A pencil skirt is a slim fitting skirt with a straight and narrow cut. Generally the hem falls to, or just below, the knee and is tailored for a close fit. The name come from it's shape: long and slim. Christian Dior introduced the pencil skirt in the late 1940s.



Friday, June 11, 2010

Homesick



I have lived in Austin, TX for a year. I arrived at the end of June 2009 from San Diego. I moved to Austin where I didn't know anyone for a job. I was really excited and proud of myself. I still am proud but probably a little less excited. I'm homesick. One of my sisters and her husband is driving across country because she is starting her internship in VA. (She just graduated from medical school. YAY!) They came and visited yesterday and I hadn't seen any of my family and friends in this past year.


I was so thrilled to hang out with them. I took them to Casa de Luz vegan restaurant for lunch and was disappointed that the ginger sweet potato soup tasted like the sugary fruit loops cereal. Blech! We found them a hotel and then walked at Town Lake in the 100 degree weather with 200% humidity. Sweat-TEE! We explored Lance Armstrong's bike shop Mellow Johnny's and went walking to find the Lance Armstrong Bikeway with artwork along the way. I don't think we found it but we found a little river with turtles. I showed them Barton Springs pool and they were really impressed. It's a huge, HUGE spring-fed pool, 900 feet long and has a natural rock and gravel bottom. We then went to Texas Land and Cattle for supper and I had a terrific rib-eye. Got to love grass fed beef for I can really tell the difference! After supper I showed them my apartment and we looked at a photo album of their wedding that I made. They've been married for a year. We then said goodbye and I teared up a bit.


I woke up sad and cried while I made my meals for the day because I'm working a 12 hour shift today. Then teared up while opening the studio. Then walked into the bathroom where I cried some more. I just miss my family and dang IT, I'm tearing up again. To bring this back to a weight loss blog, I did walk into the studio kitchen and while wiping away tears, I saw our event food of cookies and chex mix and asked myself, "Would eating make you feel better?" in which I replied in my head, "No but I want to crawl into my bed and cry a lot." But I can't so it's back to work with puffy eyes.

10 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you're homesick! Get out and do some fun stuff and meet people!!!

    It took us a good three years before we felt we had some friends. It was hard, because we love Seattle, it truly felt like home, and yet, we didn't felt like we belonged here.

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to a conference in Austin in October and did not realize Lance had a bike shop there. I am totally going to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really cool! I like his merchandise.
    neat-o t-shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks soooo much Miss Pudding Food! That's good to read your comment. With my added weight it hasn't made me want to go out a whole lot but I'm working on it.

    Thanks again!!!
    ~Cariann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missy and Sarah,

    I've been to your blogs before and really enjoyed reading them. I just went to try and follow you but I cannot figure out how.

    Help please!
    ~Cariann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Google reader and put all my blogs in there, but as to the official way to "follow", I have no idea.

    Also I just realized what a heinous bitch I am for not commenting on the root cause for your post: homesickness. I hope you feel better soon. Stuff like that sucks so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are not heinous...laughing.. a little bitchy but not heinous! Totally kidding!!!

    Thanks, it's been tough. All day yesterday I kept yelling at myself to stop thinking about it because I would cry again.

    Mellow Johnny's is a great store and totally Austin-like where you could drive right by and not realize what's inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am so sad you are having homesickness!! i will cry with you because reading your post made me miss my familia. get out. get meeting people. volunteer. it will keep your mind busy and happy

    my hubby loves austin, we came there for vacation because he loves the longhorns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ginger! I do get out but only out enough to keep myself surviving in this town. I work at a dance studio 25-30 hours. I work with the census when they have work for me. I drive these old ladies on their errands because they can't see well anymore and then I do my own errands. I've been thinking about volunteering but I should be using the rest of my time to work out. When the Longhorns play again, you'll stay with me or at least come over for supper....and we shall have WINE! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are a busy chick!! i think it would be so fun to work in a dance studio. i love to dance but never really learned. do you know any awesome dances.

    that would be awesome. my husband dreams of going to a game lol

    ReplyDelete