Attention Skirts

A pencil skirt is a slim fitting skirt with a straight and narrow cut. Generally the hem falls to, or just below, the knee and is tailored for a close fit. The name come from it's shape: long and slim. Christian Dior introduced the pencil skirt in the late 1940s.



Monday, June 28, 2010

PMDD Cont'd or I Miss Phen-Fen!

My PMDD always begins with trouble sleeping for the first two nights. The first night into it I have odd fantasies/dreams. The second and third day I'm craving food, any kind with a heap of sugar. During these days the worst symptom of them all comes out...suicidal thoughts. Most months I'm able to recognize what it is...a symptom and toss it away. This past week my worries and concern of what is going on now in my life which I believe further stepped me closer to these harmful thoughts had me considering the poor idea. I struggled with separating that it's a PMDD symptom and what I really feel. It gets nerve-wracking when I'm thinking I should clean my apartment extra good just in case....ya know. It's a terrible thought and an even more terrible way of life.



Years ago I got the book When Your Body Gets The Blues by Dr. Marie-Annette Brown and Jo Robinson. It stresses getting enough light, getting some walking in and a vitamin cocktail of B1, B2, B6, D, Folic Acid, and Selenium. They did studies using this combination and found that it helped women going through what I go through. I follow this but sometimes it doesn't work for me. I think the extra weight digs a deeper hole in PMDD symptoms for me.

A couple days ago of desperation I read everything I could on the internet about serotonin. When I was on Phen-Fen (now that could be a whole other post!) I felt WONDERFUL!! Sure I lost weight but it was just grand that I didn't think about food every blessed second, slept great, and felt like I knew I always should have felt. When they found that Phen-Fen was causing holes in people's hearts, they took it away. I was so sad and miserable! So I've been looking for a shot of serotonin ever since. I bought the OTC vitamin 5-HTP a couple days ago and so far I'm feeling less foggy, more relaxed and calm, AND not thinking I need to eat or forage for food. It isn't as strong as Phen-Fen was when just looking at food made me feel full. With 5-HTP I have to make the choice of whether I should eat but I'm been grateful my head is allowing me to ask the question instead of 'no thoughts, just open mouth and insert any food that's near.' Now it's only been a couple of days so I cannot make a complete decision on whether this will work but I'm going to keep taking it and jot notes down to see how I do.

This makes me so sad!

"The incidence of suicide in women with depression is significantly higher during the latter half of the menstrual cycle."

5 comments:

  1. These posts have been insightful to read. I hope your symptoms abate. I had no idea that TOM could be so bad! And to have it so often?! OMG. Hugs GF hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, you made me chuckle out loud at the "hugs gf hugs!" love it! Yes, I really despise TOM, I'd think I prefer a RAFAEL next time. That sounds sooo much more exotic and sexy, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have PMDD and the severity of it is definately affected by what I'm going through in the rest of my life. I bought a book a few years ago called something like "The Serotonin Solution" It was an interesting read but it seemed more complicated to follow than what I was willing to do. Basics seem to be that carbs help increase serotonin..so be sure that you continue to eat carbs in a consistent manner to help avoid spikes and valleys in your levels.

    My life is completely different when my serotonin levels seem to be right and the two medications that have brought about that right level were Zoloft and Adderall XR. I'm not taking either right now, I'm without insurance, but I'm doing OK for now. Different side effects for both but depending on the severity of the PMDD.. I was willing to deal with them. I hope you find something that works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW... I am the ultimate grazer.. I'd eat all day long, even when I'm not hungry... and on Zoloft... I forgot to eat. It was wonderful. And only the namebrand worked for me.. generic was awful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so wild to hear the different symptoms, i am going to have to pay more attention to my moods. kind of hard to help others when going through yourself lol

    hope it passes fast.

    ReplyDelete