Attention Skirts

A pencil skirt is a slim fitting skirt with a straight and narrow cut. Generally the hem falls to, or just below, the knee and is tailored for a close fit. The name come from it's shape: long and slim. Christian Dior introduced the pencil skirt in the late 1940s.



Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Dad's Letter

My dad sent this letter on Sunday. He seems to be doing really well. I'm happy he is safe and praying that this will work out for him like he hoped. He has/had about 80 lbs to lose which isn't a TON but he has several medical issues which they are hoping this choice to do this will cure or help alleviate them. This definitely wouldn't be my choice which is why you read about my life chugging and lugging over this journey. I thought it would be a neat ending to the blog posts about my dad.


" I just got out of the hospital today. As you may have known I went the hospital in Frankfurt on Monday and had my Roux-en-y (RNY) gastric bypass the next morning. The surgery consisted of cutting the top portion of my stomach, approximately 10% or in my case 15 ml, and connecting it to the middle of the small intestine. The remaining part of the stomach is sewn shut where the cut was made as that is needed to still produce the gastric acid for digestion. Last Saturday, I did a colon cleanse as the Frankfurt hospital told me I had to have my colon cleansed. That was fun and if you ever had that done you know what I mean. When I got to the Frankfurt hospital they did an upper GI endoscopy, i.e, put a scope down my throat to see if my stomach was okay. I still have a small sore throat form it. They then informed me that I needed a colon cleanse. I told them I already had one. They said I still needed theirs. I don't think they believed me. Having two in three days is so much fun. :(

The first 48 hours after surgery I could have nothing to drink or eat. They only gave me a small cup of water and very large q-tips to drunk into the water to wet my mouth. Thursday, they finally gave me clear broth for each of my meals, with a half a glass of water in between the meals. Friday, got more clear broth and in the evening was given cream soup. Saturday, I got cream soup and a liquid pudding for all three meals and the same went for Sunday when I was discharged just after lunch. I was surprised in that I was not hungry at all and felt really full when they gave me the cream soup and liquid pudding. In fact, I had difficulty finishing it. I still feel like someone punched me in the stomach after the surgery and have some discomfort but it is not that bad.

However, I'm down 22 pounds the first week (started at 260 and am now 238). Mother says a good portion of my gut has disappeared. I know the weight loss won't continue at this rate but I hope to keep to the program. I only get liquid food for the next two weeks and then gradually change over to more and more solid food. The doctor put my goal weight at 160 which is going to be a challenge but I think I'm up to it or at least I'll give it my best shot. They say eating is one of the hardest habits to break. Driving home form the hospital and driving past the bakery and even more gyros shops, I said okay no more of those. The gyros I probably could have in the future but instead of it being a meal it will be more like four meals for me. "

3 comments:

  1. Wow, 22 pounds the first week?! That's crazy. It wouldn't be my choice, either, but hopefully it will work for him and he'll be able to keep it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad he is out of the hospital and able to start his new life. it will be exciting!!

    i would love to do a lemon cleanse. one of these days i will get brave enough

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dad seems to be getting his thinking in order too. That is wonderful! Good for him, and you! Hugs, Kirsten

    ReplyDelete