Attention Skirts

A pencil skirt is a slim fitting skirt with a straight and narrow cut. Generally the hem falls to, or just below, the knee and is tailored for a close fit. The name come from it's shape: long and slim. Christian Dior introduced the pencil skirt in the late 1940s.



Sunday, June 27, 2010

PMDD

Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is a condition marked by severe depression symptoms, irritability, and tension before menstruation.

Five or more of the following symptoms must be present:
In BOLD are the symptoms that I get-

1. Disinterest in daily activities and relationships
2. Fatigue or low energy
3. Feeling of sadness or hopelessness, possible suicidal thoughts
4. Feelings of tension or anxiety
5. Feeling out of control
6. Food cravings or binge eating
7. Mood swings marked by periods of teariness
8. Panic attack
9. Persistent irritability or anger that affects other people
10.Trouble concentrating
11. Physical symptoms, such as bloating, breast tenderness, headaches, and joint or muscle pain
12. Sleep disturbances

Treatment-
Women with PMDD may be helped by the following:
1. A balanced diet (with increased whole grains, vegetables, fruit, and decreased or no salt, sugar, alcohol, and caffeine)
2. Adequate rest
3. Regular exercise 3-5 times per week
In addition, it is important to keep a diary or calendar to record the type, severity, and duration of symptoms.

Selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are antidepressant drugs that can treat PMDD. SSRIs include fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem), sertraline (Zoloft), paroxetine (Paxil), fluvoxamine (Luvox), citalopram (Celexa), and escitalopram (Lexapro).

Nutritional supplements -- such as vitamin B6, calcium, and magnesium -- may be recommended. Pain relievers such as aspirin or ibuprofen may be prescribed for headache, backache, menstrual cramping and breast tenderness. Diuretics may be useful for women who have significant weight gain due to fluid retention.

Complications
PMDD symptoms may become severe enough that they interfere with a woman's daily life. Women with depression may have worse symptoms during the second half of their cycle and may require medication adjustments.

As many as 10% of women who report PMS symptoms, particularly those with PMDD, have had suicidal thoughts. The incidence of suicide in women with depression is significantly higher during the latter half of the menstrual cycle.

PMDD may be associated with eating disorders and smoking.

-------------------------------------------------------------------


I added the PMDD Google Health discussion to get an understanding of what it is. For me, I HATE IT! It changes my life every month. Unfortunately, I get my period every 22 days so one week I'm off, one week PMS/PMDD and one week TOM and then it begins again. Some months are better than others and some get me really into the pits. This past week was the pits. I didn't really want to blog about it because any time people use the words suicide and depression, some people get a little judgy.

This complicates my goals of losing weight. It always has! I have lost 55 lbs in the past with Weight Watchers but it took an awfully long time which I chalk up to 2 steps forward, 1 step back. The reason I'm losing the same 50 lbs again is due to PMDD. My doctor put me on the birth control Yas that was supposed to help with my PMDD symptoms. It kinda did but then it helped me gain almost 40 lbs. (The last time I gained 55 lbs was due to the birth control Depo-Provera.) That isn't the kinda help I want nor need! Blah! I continued carrying 'the gaining weight torch' since now I was fat, new to Austin and had a new job, then lost my new job and was depressed about not knowing anyone as well as the things I already mentioned. I'll write more about this another time.

I know getting out into the sunlight, exercise, and vitamins is a big deal to help me feel better and I do them but sometimes it doesn't make me feel better. It makes me proud of myself that I am doing good things for my body. However, it also hurts that even though I'm doing good things for my body, my body isn't receiving those things and fixing itself.

3 comments:

  1. wow!! thanks so much for posting this. i thought that i was just going to have ppd for the rest of my life but i dont really get it all the time. i am going to try and watch it more to see if it has to do with my TOM.

    i pretty much have all the symptoms except 8. dont worry, i battle it as well as the thought of suicide. it is not fun and definitely not something you should do alone. i dont tell people my thoughts because i dont want them to worry and then watch me like a hawk. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comment! That's exactly what I feel like, "I don't want them to worry and then watch me like a hawk." Exactly!

    I'm sorry you get this too...it's awful! **Big hugs back**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with this. Hormones SUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete